Wednesday, March 5, 2014

'Bedtime Magic' at Spoonflower!

Spoonflower's design challenge this week is all about bedtime! The routines we go through to put the little ones to bed are full of 'ritual, song, story, special objects and spaces'.
'Bedtime Magic' ©2014 Patty Rybolt Designs
When our girls were little they loved the reading portion of their bedtime routine the best. We started with picture books then moved onto 'The Big Red Kite', and other Berenstain Bear books.
Stan & Jan Berenstain!
Mark Brown!
 'Arthur' books by Mark Brown were huge and as they got a little older my husband read the 'Kit' books to them from American Girl.
American Girl - Kit!
I always thought this time with the girls was magical. Good stories could take you wherever you wanted to go.

My first thought on a design for this theme was of magic carpets, so I went with it. I started like I usually do, by researching online and in catalogues. Checked out the kids beds and bedding and started drawing. I wanted to put a bed on a magic carpet and include side tables, and accesories needed for bedtime like lamps, drinks of water or milk, slippers and a pet. I know bedtime stories didn't happen without our black lab Midnight by the bed.
Most drawings were done in my sketchbook and on my iPad and opened in photoshop where I layered the images in the color palette that was required. I designed 3 bed vignettes and thought that they worked best in a half drop layout. When the pattern was complete I added the slippers, books and animals to complete the warm bedtime feel. The stars and moon shapes were added to finish the pattern repeat!
All designs submitted had to use the restricted 'bedtime' palette, and previews were shown at half quarter size (21" x 18"). Deadline for entry was March 4th, 2014.
Spoonflower's restricted palette for the bedtime challenge.
Voting starts on Thursday, March 6th 2014 and will go through Thursday, March 13th 2014. Please vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment