Wednesday, March 26, 2014

'Wellies and Umbrellies' for Spoonflower!

April showers bring May flowers! This week's challenge was to design a fabric to celebrate the trusty rubber boot!
'Wellies and Umbrellies'   ©2014 Patty Rybolt Designs.
This concept came easy to me this week. I live in beautiful south Florida and am surrounded by amazing birds year round. I am constantly photographing, drawing and watching birds. (I took the photo's below).
Two sandhill cranes - backyard 
 
An egret with rosette
spoonbills - local pond

Flamingo - Palm Beach Zoo
Ibis - pond


rainy season rainbow - backyard
Egret - backyard photo
 The weather is gorgeous right now but in rainy season the only creatures happy to be in the rain are the birds. 
I decided to incorporate the boots and birds with rain and some fun umbrellas. I was excited to use some of my sketches from my iPad's Adobe Ideas App. I drew some wellies, umbrellas, rain, clouds, flowers and accessories for my characters like the bathing cap, glasses, and hats to give them personality. 
When the drawings were done I imported them Photoshop on my main computer and assembled them with color and pattern in layers, almost like a collage. When my characters were complete I made a repeat of the rain and clouds and added my characters!
Previews will be sized as a fat quarter (21" x 18"). Voting starts Thursday, March 27th, 2014 and continues until Thursday, April 4th, 2014. Please vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment