Monday, February 24, 2014

Cuckoo for Lilla Rogers MATS Bootcamp!

I'm taking a break from Spoonflower this week to focus on an online course I am currently enrolled in from the Lilla Rogers Studio, 'MATS Bootcamp'. I have taken Lilla's 'Make Art That Sells' (MATS A + B) e-courses and loved what it did to help me update my portfolio and better understand what art buyers are looking for when they are buying art to go on products. MATS Bootcamp will help me to further develop my portfolio as well.
Lilla Rogers' MATS Bootcamp!
The first month's assignment was to design a cell phone case using elements in a cuckoo clock. I approached this assignment by drawing cuckoo clocks of all kinds. Then the winter olympics started in Russia and I thought the architectural elements in their buildings were beautiful and would be fun to incorporate into my design.  I started by drawing lots and lots of building, clock and bird parts and then assembled and colored them in Photoshop. I then drew lots of elements to make patterns within my shapes using my iPad (adobe Ideas app). I finished the phone case idea and then added pattern coordinates using some of the elements from my cuckoo clock design.
Lilla's suggested colors were a big change for me because I lean more toward using cool colors than some of the warm tones in her palette. I think I'll be using these colors more often!
This is where my design ended up...
'Cuckoo' ©2014 Patty Rybolt Designs
Lilla's suggested color palette!

No comments:

Post a Comment