Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Anti-Valentine!

Spoonflower design of the week had a different theme… the Anti-Valentine! They posted… "Sometimes we wish Cupid would pack up his arrows and go home. Hearts, flowers, and chocolate make us a little queasy. If you're sick of romantic comedies and love letters, we have the challenge for you! Create a design styled after a traditional cross stitch that expresses some Anti-Valentine's Day sentiments."

'No Thanks Mr. Valentine!'
©2014 Patty Rybolt Designs
Research on the internet proved to be mostly skulls and dead roses and I thought this theme could be a bit too negative for me. I decided that I would take more of a comedic approach. Time was short for this assignment so I took to looking over my sketchbooks for inspiration. I zeroed inn on my snail, bunny and owl sketches and tried to come up with a way to twist them into the 'anti' theme.

My happy snail needed to stay happy, so I put her in control of her situation. Just added her purse and she was good to go. Owl's illustration was ready except she was happy in my sketch so I flipped her eyes to change her expression.
original owl drawing
©2014 Patty Rybolt Designs
Bunny was recovered from some 'spring' sketches and transformed into a voodoo doll with some simple pins and a broken heart! The 'love is for suckers' idea came first then I simply drew a 'sucker'! Next I drew embroidery hoops as a frame for my designs.

All of my illustrations were done in india ink marker, scanned and colored in photoshop. The textures used on the embroidery hoops are simply a burlap photo and pen marks that I made and adjusted in Photoshop then colored and layered. (In Photoshop go to --- 'filter' - 'adjustments' - 'threshold').

My design above is shown at 1/4 size of the preview (preview is a fat quarter 21" x 18"). Voting starts on Thursday, February 6th, 2014 and continues to Thursday, February 13th, 2014. Please Vote!!

No comments:

Post a Comment