Tuesday, February 11, 2014

History of Jazz

This week's Spoonflower Design Challenge is 'celebrating the rich history of jazz music'.

I got started by researching on Pinterest. I have a 'vintage graphics + ads' board that has a ton of old Jazz record covers from all of the greats like Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie and Duke Ellington.
'Jazz Groove' ©2014 Patty Rybolt Designs
fabric, wallpaper, wall decals and gift wrap available soon at Spoonflower.com
I am such a fan of the design from this era. Most of the album covers and posters were done with a limited color palette to keep printing costs down, so I restricted my pattern to 2-colors and white. The green and blue combined at 50% on top of each other make the background olive color.

The instruments were all drawn on my iPad with the Adobe Ideas App. All of the images were done in black and white, sent to 'the cloud' and then colored in Photoshop on my desktop computer. The details like the pigeons, starbursts, dots, stripes and details on the instruments were done with india ink and a '0' round brush on copy paper. I like the painterly feel the marks give to the finished design. When the ink was dry I scanned the marks and colored them in photoshop as well.

Why the pigeons?
They just felt right!

Some of my favorite old album covers… (from Pinterest)!
Miles Davis,
Newport Jazz Festival, 1958
Miles Davis
Dizzy Gillespie…
Fab illustrations on this one!
"Cal Tjader Quintet" 1956 Fantasy Records 

Dizzy Gillespie
Roy Eldridge, Collates,
Cover by David Stone Martin

Abner Graboff design, 1955,
Pete Jolly Sextet.
From Mid-centuria blog.
Paul Bacon design Blue Note 10
'Mellow The Mood'
Hans Michel + Günther Kieser, 1957
Previews designed as a fat quarter fabric size (21" x 18"). Voting starts Thursday, February 13th, 2014 and continues until Thursday, February 20th, 2014. Please Vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment