Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Pie is 'The Chalkboard Special!'

This week Spoonflower asked all to come up with a design with delicious 'Pie' in mind. I sketched many pies with my trusty Faber-Castell SF black marker and on my iPad. After coming up with a pattern that I liked and started to color in the drawings in photoshop I stopped.

Sketches...
The composition was looking a bit generic, so I scrapped the idea and decided to incorporate type into the design. The addition of the type changed the whole look and reminded me of a restaurant chalkboard design.
...and more sketches!

I didn't know how to make a 'chalk look' so I looked for tutorials on the internet and found a post on the blog  How To Nest For Less-- 'How to Make Your Own Chalkboard Printables', and another on Sweet C's Designs-- Make a Chalkboard Effect in Photoshop, and Textuts post-- Chalk Text Effect! Between all of these an messing around with effects in Photoshop I found an effect that I thought worked pretty well on the computer screen. I am just hoping that it works as well on the printed fabric!

Today's Chalkboard Special! ©2013 Patty Rybolt Designs

The finished designs were at a fat quarter size (21"x18"). Voting starts on Thursday, October 10th 2013 and goes through Wednesday October 16th, 2013! Please Vote!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment