Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Halloween... 'Hoot the Owl' 1-Yard Cut & Sew Costume Pattern!

The design of the week... a 1-yard Cut & Sew costume pattern for halloween! The Costumes were to be engineered for kids or adults.
My first thought on this was to design something simple and easy to sew in as few pieces as possible.
I went to a halloween shop to research what was out there and liked the idea of a hooded cape that could easily fit over a child's coat if it was chilly. The cape could be made into many things... riding hood, superhero, etc.
Then came the online research and inspiration. Owl's have been very trendy over the past few years and I thought this would lend itself to the cape idea. I started by making my template for the pattern on Photoshop and then added hand drawn feathers with designs and doodles. Next I puzzle pieced the feathers into place on my template. I started out using traditional owl colors and then remembered my own girls when they were little, they wouldn't wear it unless it was pink or purple. I changed my palette to the one you see below!
'Hoot the Owl' 1-yard Cut & Sew fabric design available at Spoonflower.com
©2013 Patty Rybolt Designs
Preview size at a single yard (42" x 36"). Deadline for entry was October 15th, 2013. Voting starts on Thursday, October 17th, 2013 and continues until October 23, 2013! Please Vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment