Thursday, July 24, 2014

Herbs for Spoonflower!

This week on Spoonflower... Herbs!
Herb's Herbs!  ©2014 Patty Rybolt Designs. All Rights Reserved.
Concept…
The idea for this design came from looking at Pinterest and all of the illustrated recipes that I admire on my food illustration board. I wanted to try one. Seeing as it was herb week I thought a nice Caprese Salad would be fun. A Caprese Salad consists of buffalo mozzarella, fresh tomato and fresh basil. I thought I would add a few other herbs as well seeing as it is herb week… rosemary, thyme + parsley. A loaf of fresh bread, olives and olive oil were also added to complete the menu! Once I had the concept together I started on the execution of the design.

Execution…
I tend to go at these designs in the same way.
1. I start with reference material, looking at herbs and tomatoes and bottles etc.
2. Sketch the items in my moleskin sketchbook.
3. Photograph my rough sketches with my iPad.
4. Open the photos in my Adobe Ideas App and do cleaner sketches over the roughs. (With my finger). This app allows you to draw freeform vector illustrations virtually anywhere!
5. Send the clean drawings to my desktop computer and open them in Photoshop. (I put them in 'the cloud'.)
6. Choose a color palette and color the drawings in layers.
7. Open a new file in the size that I want my final pattern to be and build layers of colors to make my images.
8. Burn and dodge to add depth if needed.
9. Adjust the individual images to make a good composition for a repeat pattern.

I don't know if this is the right way to do this, but it works for me. I like drawing by hand and this method allows me to keep a hand drawn look to my illustrations.

Voting started on Thursday, July 24th, 2014. Vote here!

No comments:

Post a Comment