Friday, May 30, 2014

Meditate 'editorial art' for Lilla Rogers Bootcamp!

©2014 Patty Rybolt Designs.
Editorial piece from Huffington Post article by Grace Suh, L.Ac., Dipl.O.M.
This week, a different assignment. I'm taking another on-line course from Lilla Rogers called the Assignment Bootcamp.
It's a portfolio building course with monthly assignments for illustrators. This month the focus was on the 'editorial' market. The students read the article "How To Meditate: A Primer For People Who Don't Like To Meditate," published in the Huffington Post written by Grace Suh, L.Ac., Dipl.O.M., and we're asked to provide an illustration to accompany the article.
The article talks about how it's impossible to meditate when so many things things invade our thoughts. It stresses the enourmous benefits of meditation, and ultimately anyone can meditate by choosing a method that works for them.
I attacked this assignment with cut paper. I drew a ton of people in a meditative pose. I drew textures, and 'things' that were mentioned in the article that were running through the mind of the author. (Phone vibrating, chocolate donut, book ideas, plumber, etc.) I cut out many of the drawings and scanned them into Photoshop where I colored the shapes, added details and assembled the layers of my figure. Next the type was added. I hand drew the word Meditate, scanned and colored in photoshop. The other type was then added to complete the headline. Last was the background pattern, a lotus flower repeat, which helped to put the figure in the forefront. Finis!!

No comments:

Post a Comment