Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Crayon Monsters + Mosquitos for Spoonflower!

   Spoonflower went 'old school' and asked their designers to dust off the crayons for this week's contest, 'create a monster design using crayons!'
'Monsters + Mosquitos' (crayon)
©2014 Patty Rybolt Designs. All Rights Reserved.

   This design was done by sketching many monsters in pencil. When I had creatures that I liked I drew them with crayons. I couldn't get the color intensity needed to use as a fabric design so I remembered an old trick from elementary school… color over a hot surface.
   Sister Madeline Carrabino was my art teacher from At. Augustines School from 1st grade until 8th grade. She was amazing.  She did incredible things with crayons, but my favorite was when she would iron our paper and then have us draw on it when the paper was still warm. It was beautiful the way the colors would intensify, merge and smell. So I did as I learned from Sr. Madeline and ironed my paper first then drew with crayons over the warm paper until the crayon had a smooth and more solid appearance. Next I scanned all of my monsters and the mosquitos and made an appealing pattern in Photoshop. I adjusted the color levels to bring the intensity up a bit more, then made a background design. I like the paper that kids use to practice their spelling homework, so I drew straight lines in blue and red to mimic that look. Last I added the type in a bubble using the 'Monstro' font. Done. Ta DaH!!
Previews are viewed as a quarter yard (21" x 18"). Voting starts on Thursday, May 15th, 2014, and continues until Thursday morning, May 22, 2014!
Please Vote!!


No comments:

Post a Comment