Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Ski Retro!

The challenge this week… 
'Create a pattern that uses skiing imagery with a retro or vintage flair.' Submitted designs must use this restricted palette! 

 For this challenge I started out by researching on the internet, mostly vintage ski posters and ads on Pinterest and Google. I found that the palette was pretty good and workable except for the mustard and ketchup colors. 
I started to sketch figures in ski poses with detail but found it to look too busy. Many of the vintage posters that I had researched were simple silkscreen prints, so I changed direction and simplified the shapes once I got them scanned and opened in Photoshop. I had sketched the trees for an earlier project and auditioned them with my figures and liked the simplicity, so I kept them. I liked the monochromatic  design but forced myself to use the mustard and ketchup.
I noticed that many of the vintage posters and ads featured cars. I thought adding a car might bring in the vintage feel that I needed and give me a place to use the yellow and red. So I sketched many cars and exaggerated some of their features to give the design retro flair. The cars were added, then the road and finally I thought a lodge was the perfect final element.


'Ski Retro'
fabric, wallpaper, wall decals + gift wrap available soon at Spoonflower.com
©2013 Patty Rybolt Designs
Previews will be shown at the fat quarter fabric size (21" x 18"). Voting starts on Thursday, December 12th, 2013, and continues through Thursday morning December 19th, 2013. Please Vote!!

No comments:

Post a Comment