Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Ink for Spoonflower and Uppercase Magazine!

'Ink'  ©2014 Patty Rybolt Designs. 
The challenge for this week… Calligraphy and Ink! 

Spoonflower  partnered with UPPERCASE, magazine for a special Design Challenge. Designers have the chance to be profiled in an upcoming issue of UPPERCASE by creating the winning calligraphy-themed print. Designers had to create a monochromatic pattern using varying shades of black, white or grey. "Go graphic with calligraphic messages and flourishes or be illustrative with pens, inkwells and other tools of the craft."

I raided my ink drawer (yes I have one), and drew as many of the items as I could with as much detail as possible. I drew the line art on my iPad in the Adobe Ideas App (with my finger), and then imported it into Photoshop where I built my 'icons'. Next came the placement of the icons keeping in mind that I would use a 1/2 drop pattern with this layout. When I was pleased with the composition I added ink drops to fill in the open spots (which I scanned in), and last came the ink dot pattern behind the completed design! I mistakenly thought that this assignment might be a bit easier because it was 'monochromatic', but it was pretty challenging!
Voting started on Thursday, November 13, 2014 and continues until Thursday November 20th, 2014. Please Vote!


No comments:

Post a Comment