Friday, January 2, 2015

Under the Sea 1-2-3... Counting for Spoonflower!

Happy New Year!
The first design post of the new year is all about celebrating Mathematics!
Under the Sea 1-2-3! ©2015 Patty Rybolt Designs.
All Rights Reserved.


I toyed with trying to use my daughter's calculus homework as a base for a typographical solution to this week's challenge, but then I started drawing. Picture books for counting came to mind and I decided to change gears and go with an under the sea theme.

I drew tons of sea creatures and numbers in my sketchbook and took pictures of them with my iPad. I opened the pictures in the Adobe Ideas app on my iPad and drew better versions of my illustrations to import into photoshop (where I assembled my icons in color.)

My favorite part of this process is adding simple details to each and every icon. The textures, shapes and colors bring each character to life and give them a personality! The last step is the hardest part for me… the repeat. Putting my artwork into a technical repeat is my nemesis and I vow to master it in 2015!

Voting started on Wednesday, December 31st and continues until January 8th, 2015! Please Vote!

2015 Goals…
With one design now completed for 2015 I'm hoping to continue with at least 3 designs per month using the Spoonflower prompts as well as Lilla Rogers Assignment Bootcamp projects. I'm setting goals to finish my website and submit my art to some new companies to build my business. Let's just see what happens, the worst they can say is no. Wish me luck!
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment