Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pop Art Chicken? ...Free Range 'Marilyn', 2013

This week the theme is POP Art! Create a fabric using chickens in the style of the pop art movement. Submissions were to be shown as a fat quarter (21" x 18"), and the deadline was Tuesday April 16, 2013. Voting starts on Thursday, April 18th and will continue through Thursday, April 25th, 2013.

And here it is, ...My ode to Andy Warhol's Marilyn... if she was a chicken. Complete with her fabulous hair, signature blue eyeshadow and red lipstick! I tried to create this design as if I were using Warhol's silkscreen process, with solid flat areas of color as my underpainting, and an overlay of my chicken image as line art. I did many digital sketches on an app on my iPad from the Andy Warhol Museum called The Warhol:D.I.Y. POP, before completing my entry in photoshop. This app can give you a quick look at Andy Warhol and his 'Pop' Silkscreen Process, and it's really fun to play with!

I've always been a big fan of Andy Warhol and this weeks entry was so much fun to work on, a break from the usual illustration process that I would typically go through. If you have time check out the app and the Andy Warhol Museum website!

Free Range 'Marilyn', 2013
©2013 Patty Rybolt Designs
Free Range 'Marilyn', 2013 (Fabric Pattern)
©2013 Patty Rybolt Designs
©2013 Patty Rybolt Designs
Free Range 'pop eggs', 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment